Ann has run all her life, from humble beginnings at junior inter-school and inter-provincial cross country and track, to competing at a national level as a senior. After university, Ann took a break from competitive running to focus on her career, running her first Comrades ultramarathon in 2009 where she placed first novice.
Ann’s love of the sport prompted her to establish Born2Run Athletics Club in 2013, the intention being to launch an independent national elite, sub-elite and development running club. Ann took responsibility for managing the club’s elite ladies team in 2014 when Born2Run won the ladies team prize at Comrades and were presented with the Ladies Shield.
Ann left Born2Run Athletics Club in 2017 to start a new ladies-only elite and sub-elite development team sponsored by Massmart Holdings. The group, known as Team Massmart, saw massive improvements over the next three years, achieving multiple podium finishes and accolades, including winning the Comrades Ladies Shield in 2019.
In 2023, Ann took over the position of head coach of the Ubora Running Club, another ladies-only elite and sub-elite team (housing many of the athletes who previously ran for Team Massmart). During their first year, the club achieved 5 silver medals at the Comrades Marathon and again won the Comrades Ladies Shield.
Ann is passionately committed to the development of the sport and hopes to inspire the next generation of female talent to aggressively pursue their athletic dreams.
Apart from her involvement in coaching and team management, Ann is a well-known marathon and ultra-distance athlete in her own right. Ann has two Comrades gold medals, having won the ladies race in 2018, and three Two Oceans gold medals. Ann has also won the Loskop Ultra marathon on several ocassions, as well the Karkloof 50-miler, the Ultra-Trail Drakensberg 100km (new record) and placed 4th (1st South African) in the 2021 Ultra-Trail Cape Town 100km.
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”A. A. Milne
Personal Best times (PBs):
- Valencia Marathon (42.2km): 2h35 (13th lady) 
- Comrades Marathon – Down (90km): 6h10 (1st lady) 
- Two Oceans Ultra (56.6km): 2:50 (5th lady) 
- Loskop Ultra Marathon (50km): 3h24 (1st lady) 
- Comrades Marathon – Up (87km): 6h27 (4th lady; 2nd South African) 
- Ultra-Trail Drakensburg (100km): 12h59 (1st lady, new record; 7th overall) 
- Karkloof 50 miler (80km): 8h15 (1st lady, new record; 3rd overall) 
- Ultra-Trail Cape Town (100km): 12h50 (4th lady; 16th overall) 
- Two Oceans Ultra (56.6km): 2:47 (7th lady) 
- Seville Marathon (42.2km): 2:39 
- Two Oceans Ultra (56.6km): 3:54 (9th lady)
- Comrades Marathon – Down (88km): 6h42 (15th lady) 
Ann is proudly supported by Saucony SA, Hollywood Bets, Polar SA and HyperIce.