“I have run a 6-hour marathon, a 2h29min marathon and everything in between.”
With this in mind, David certainly knows what it is like to run at all levels and can put himself in the shoes of his athletes.
David started running in 2005. He completed his first Comrades Marathon in 2006. The Comrades Marathon is a gruelling 90km race that alternates direction each year between Pietermaritzburg and Durban in South Africa. To date, David has completed the race 11 times in a personal best time of 6h16 in 2022. David has also run 10 Two Oceans Ultra Marathons in Cape Town, South Africa (56km) in a personal best time of 3h39 in 2012. He has competed in various trail races as well as in cycling and open-water swimming events.
David became heavily involved in parkrun in South Africa in 2012, teaming up with Bruce and Gill Fordyce to launch the Roodepoort parkrun. In 2013, David and Ann moved to Bryanston where they started the Bryanston parkrun. Between 2012 and 2015, David fulfilled the role of Regional Director for parkrun South Africa (Central Gauteng Province).
Included in the extensive list of marathons that David has completed, he has a personal best marathon time of 2h29, set at South Africa’s Cape Peninsula Marathon in February 2020, David has also finished 4th overall at the 2011 Brussels Marathon in a time of 2h31 and 2h33 at the Valencia Marathon in 2018.
David coaches all levels of athletes, from novice short-distance runners that want to progress from walking to running their first 5km event, all the way up to elite ultra-distance runners.
David’s coaching offering includes:
- Periodised running programme
- Strength training and plyometrics
- Functional threshold testing and zone setup
- Female athlete hormone-specific training advice
- Athlete checkins and commenting via the TrainingPeaks platform
- Telephone or Whatsapp calls on request
- Nutrition and race advice
Personal best times (PBs):
- Comrades Marathon (88,7km): 6h05 (11 silver medals)
- Two Oceans Ultra Marathon (56,6km): 3h39 (6 silver medals)
- Cape Peninsula Marathon (42,2km): 2h29
- 10km: 32min17
- 5km: 15min17